Eye Assessment at Optimax, TTDI.

 If you’ve done any research at all regarding LASIK, I’m sure you’ve come across Optimax. Having Papa Lau as a living testimony as Optimax (he got his LASIK done there over two decades ago & he has been having 20/20 vision all the way until he needs lauhua glasses now), I decided to pay Optimax a visit for my eye assessment to see if i’m suitable for LASIK. 


I was told in the very beginning that the assessment costs RM195, but it would be RM120 if i have a Watson member card . I did the math, a member card would cost me RM20, meaning i’ll still save RM55 & I’ll have Watson membership, ok quite worth it. But i forgotten to apply for that card (totally my fault, i know, i hate myself too) so i sent them messages on both Whatsapp & FB messenger the night before. I did not get a reply. I made a call to Optimax while Papa Lau drove me there that morning. I was told on the phone that i don’t necessarily need a Watson card, i can just download the app & sign up for membership on it, then flash them my QR code. Alternatively I will also be entitled for the RM120 assessment if i pay with a CIMB debit or credit card. 


I know this entry is supposed to be about my LASIK, but this was part of the journey, you may skip this part if you want. So i downloaded the app and tried signing up for a Watson membership, I had to go through the whole process not once, not twice, but thrice. I got to the part where I have to pay for the membership, then it crashed lmao. It was so frustrating, I’ve never seen any company trying THIS hard to make it difficult for people to sign up for their membership. Why Watson, why? 


I have a CIMB debit card, but it expired a whole year ago & I didn’t bother renewing it cause i was using e-wallets mainly these days. i managed to find a CIMB bank just 3 minutes away from Optimax, so i decided to just go get a new debit card. I spent around 20 minutes in the bank & got a new card so i hurried to Optimax. 


Only then i received their whatsapp reply saying i can either use a Watson card, a CIMB card, or a HLB card to enjoy the discounted rate for the assessment. But since we have no HKL card either, so it didn’t make a difference. 


Upon reaching Optimax, i was already nearly 30minutes late to my appointment, totally my fault for the lack of preparation. But luckily they took me in. I filled in a form & waited another 20 minutes before i was finally called.


A lady around my age, who i assume is the optometrist, but i have no idea because she didn’t introduce herself & I didn’t ask, led me to a room to start my assessment. I had to sit through a couple of tests, I lost count by the 5th or 6th one. She was very gentle & patient the entire time, you can kinda tell she’s new, but that did not bother me because i know that’s how people will see me when i’m a dentist too, I won’t want patients to doubt me while carrying out routine treatments that I know I’m confident in doing too, just because i look “young & inexperienced”. 


By the end of the test, she asked me to take a seat at the waiting area while she did some calculations. Shortly after, she came out to drop some eye drops in my eye to “relax my eye muscles” for the next few tests. She did warn me beforehand that it was gonna sting but boy it really really stung. I felt like I had shampoo in my eyes, but worse. It was incredibly uncomfortable. Luckily that discomfort lasted for a couple of minutes only. 


Then I was led to the consultation room with Papa Lau & she explained the results of my eye assessment. I kinda expected a doctor to be doing that, but i didn't wanna offend her so i didn't question her on that. Besides mild dry eyes, everything else was within normal parameters. she suggested 2 options for my case - Femto-LASIK & ReLEx SMILE. There was also a third option which i’m eligible for, but that option has a longer recovery time & carries more risk of side effects hence we decided against it. 


She explained the recovery time & possible side effects of both options while telling me my risk of developing such side effects. Apparently my risk is on the higher side, but besides age (that contributed 2 points to my risk assessment, just waiting one more year will bring my risk down by 1 point) there’s nothing else i can change about my risk factors. She answered a few of my queries, I would say that they could have been answered better but then maybe a doctor was supposed to be doing that? no idea but we were done. 


When i went to pay, i was prepared to pay with my brand new CIMB card, then she told me to pay RM120 only, since i got Papa Lau as referral. I was quite taken aback because they could’ve mentioned this earlier, before all my watson & cimb drama lol. 


Upon coming out into the sunlight i had to shield my eyes from the sun because it was awfully sensitive to light. Besides that, my vision is extremely blur for anything within arm’s reach, i can’t read anything on my phone unless i take off my glasses. Even as I’m typing this, i couldn’t see anything that i’m typing lol, i can only see my keyboard, but not the words i’m typing so that’s pretty inconvenient. I hope this blurriness will go away soon cause i have to work tomorrow yikes. 


Okay so take home messages: 

  1. eye assessment in Optimax costs RM195, but you’ll get a discounted rate of RM120 if you have Watsons membership, or pay with a CIMB or HLB card, or simply mention the name of someone who had their LASIK done here before (you can mention mine i guess, after i get it done, you’re welcome.) (no i don’t think i’ll profit from being mentioned, cause i mentioned Papa Lau & he got nothing out of it haha) 
  2. there’s plenty of tests and it will take roughly 2 hours in total
  3. get someone to drive you because with the photophobia & blurry vision, driving is probably not an option. 
  4. i think you should already know this- you’re not supposed to wear contact lens for at least 7 days before your appointment


----------------------

Okay, update: 
my vision went back to normal upon waking up the next morning, but my eyes were still very sensitive to light until the day after. 

No comments